Journals Home

Journal 1 - Journal 2 - Journal 3 - Journal 4 - Mission Photos












MAY 26, 1914

MAY 26, 1914
Tuesday. Left home this morning at 4:30 for Salt Lake City in company of Lorenzo Standifird, George A. Tenney and with James J. Shumway at the auto wheel, who drove us carefully and safely free of charge to our first landing, Holbrook by 7:00, where we were joined by Sister Ruth Savage of Woodruff, Arizona, and S. Albert Smith, and Virgil T. Denham of Shumway, Arizona. We bid a number of our friends adieu, and at 7:35 boarded the westbound train and sailed happily, yet thoughtfully away. Met Ernest Shumway in Flagstaff about noon -- few minutes for renewing old acquaintances--then again we sped west into California (after working a detour) and crossing the great Colorado River. Changing trains--on into Nevada and Utah--landing in Salt Lake City on Thursday, May 28th, 1914 at 6 o'clock. Fare $23.75.

Enjoyed my visit with Aunt Samantha [in Bountiful, Utah looking over many of her papers and books, noting that she was busily engaged in translating James E. Talmage's (Great Apostasy) from English into Spanish. She is quite an accomplished writer. Auntie made me a present of a songbook (Songs of Zion) that she had translated into Spanish.

MAY 29, 1914
Went through the temple receiving my endowments. The Temple is indeed a grand place, and my descriptive powers are baffled so I shall not attempt to narrate any of its parts and proceedings.

MAY 30, 1914
Saturday--We had a big swim in the Salt Air beach (of the Great Salt Lake.) Back to the city. Lorenzo and I took a street car for Bountiful (North of city 12 miles), where we met and spent one evening with Joseph B. Warner, our neighbor's people, Warner family. Next day Sunday visited Maud Warner Goodfellow and young husband. Visited the Call home and had a pleasant chat--found a cousin, Stella Walker Call.

JUNE 2, 1914
I was set apart for my missionary labors in annex of Temple by Charles Hart. Thought we would go to Oregon, but the Lord saw fit to send us direct to Butte, Montana. Fare $6.55.

JUNE 3, 1914
Left Salt Lake City at 2:15 p.m. in company of Fred E. Porter, and V. T. Denham. Auntie (Samantha) had given me a bottle of root beer, which was the cause of the boys joking for quite awhile.

JUNE 4, 1914
Landed in Butte at 7 o'clock a.m.. Not a soul to meet us and a big snow storm on. Quite a change from the sunny south. We succeeded in locating the Elders through the Sunday School Superintendent, Brother Shorten, and enjoyed a good time. Have been borrowing money with which my meals were purchased.

JUNE 5, 1914
President Melvin J. Ballard came in, and we were assigned our happy lots--fields of labor. Elder Porter has gone to Missoula and begins his work with Elder Joseph M. Savage (one of my school pals). Elder Denham is going to Billings, and I am to labor here in Butte City. Denham and I are in the same Conference.

JUNE 6, 1914
Sponged one meal off a good saint today--Sister Odgers.

JUNE 7, 1914
We went to Sunday School at 10:30. Elder Denham helped Elder Williams in administering the sacrament. Subject of the Theological class was "Paul's Journey and his Conversion." Sunday School was dismissed at 12:20pm. Meeting began at 1:45. Elder Williams and Elder Brimhall officiating in the ordinance of the sacrament. Good spirit and strong testimonies. I spoke about seven to ten minutes. Elder Denham, added his testimony. At 5:30 Brother Keath took us to the cafeteria. Mutual Improvement conjoint this evening. It began at 7:30, consisting of musical numbers and a spirited sermon.

JUNE 8, 1914
Launched out on my first day's tracting to the unbelieving world. Watched Elder Williams tackle two families. Thinking it easy, I tried one by myself. Bang came the door and doffed my hard boiled hat (that had been getting all kinds of cursings and threats). My eyes blinked and my brain conglomerated, at I stood like a dummy facing the rattling panels of the door, while the kind lady stood smiling and cursing inside. Dumb-founded, but not baffled, I turned, only to see Elder Williams all but bursting with laughter and exclaiming-- Never mind Elder, try the next one where you may get better treatment. (Damn your hide if you laugh at me this time I'll try again.) (about directed to Elder Williams.) I bounced up to the door, half timid, rather doubtingly, yet hopefully, tipped my hat and said, good morning madam. Lo and behold she was a "he". I knew you damn Mormons were after women (only). Tears of everlasting joy were streaming down Elder William's face. Keep going old man you will be all right at the next house. I sent him away thinking I was man enough for my half.

At the next house I saw three nice young ladies sitting on the front porch and started over to tell them what I didn't know, but seeing an Elderly lady sitting by the door, I delivered my message to which she didn't take as kindly as I would have liked. Hearing, the young lady close by said, "Say Mr. Mormon, can't I go to Utah and be one of your wives?" Well, my dear girl my car is nearly loaded now, and I am just out looking for a few choice ones. Laughter-- Feeling quite smart I stepped up to the next door like I owned half of Butte. A little fellow of some nine years came to the door. I handed him literature and told him what I was doing. "Mama here's one of those big bellied short honed Mormons." Visited eight homes in succession before I could persuade anyone to accept a tract.

The last of the thirteen homes I visited was an old log hut that was undergoing repair by the hands of an old cadet of the tobacco shop, who was perched upon a 7 foot scaffold wielding a trowel with his offhand and holding fast to a pile of red mud with the other. Now and then (between spats) he would dip and daub. I watched him quite a spell and decided that I would give him a chance, even if he did resemble a hoot owl. His soul might be cleaned and scrubbed until it might radiate quite a deal. "Hey old timer, you seem to be tired, pretty hard job, eh?" I yelled from the sidewalk. Hard enough. "Say brother, I'd like to talk to you a few minutes." Speal away. "I am working in a cause known as a world movement, a religious denomination perhaps known to you as Mormon."-- A big wad of tobacco fell from his gapping jaws. Well what in hell has that to do with me? "It may have considerable to do with you some day." Get out you G.D.S. I want none of you!--"Hold on there, be careful or you may fall--Now listen a minute you dear old Dad." I'll dad you, and down he came with raised trowel. I backed off spitting Mormonism in every direction. He finally cooled off a little (only for a new start). Get out or I'll daub you with mud. "Hold on. I just fell down back there and slid half a block on the seat of my trousers. You'd better wait until I get them cleaned again and you can do a better job." He came at me again. I backed off saying, "Damn your old skin. Next time I see you, you will be climbing up the rear end of hell. Will you know me then?"

Visited 13 families leaving 40 tracts, ten in a bunch. I came pretty near selling a Book of Mormon--that is I now think that I could have done it if I had mentioned it to the people, but I had so many things to think of and figuring on how to get away, I couldn't think of it at all. By damn this surely tries one's church works to do this kind of business. I must get more in my skyscraper, and think less of my tummy.

JUNE 9, 1914
Distributed ten tracts on the strength of a 30 cent breakfast. Feel like "ell." Nothing doing.

JUNE 10, 1914
Tracted 6 homes and failed in even getting a pleasant look, so bounced two fellows working on a concrete mill. Had a nice little talk and left tracts and have good prospects of selling a Book of Mormon. Visited the Henning family on the flat, in the afternoon got home (to Smiths) at 11 o'clock--no one home but John the boy. Elders Finlinson, Conference President, and Williams have a room. Williams is waiting Elder Dutson's arrival from the Billings District, when they will leave for the southern part of the Conference. Spent 55 cents today. Got a dandy letter from Mae.

JUNE 11, 1914
The sun is once more peeping over the mountains to the east--her rays more flood-like over the desolate old city of Butte. Going now to see what the Lord has in store for us and where. Met one lady who seemed rather interested and gave out 50 tracts. Hotcakes and syrup for breakfast at 8:30--15 cents . Tis now 4:30 and nothing since hotcakes. Am most too hungry to say whether gospel is true or not. To Sunday School board meeting. Add to faith and baptism by water, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness and brotherly, love and you will have a testimony of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

The city of Butte consists of four parts. Butte proper or business section, The flat (south), East Butte, and Walkerville (north). Butte proper lays on the side, {hilly southern slope} of the richest hill in the world-- mountains on every side (with one outlet), and hence, is as a great bowl in which sediment and silt gather all the smoke from dwellings, mines, shops, and business houses, trams and etc. It settles down upon the city like a lonely squatter on a tract of prairie. One breathes filth of all (and some indescribable) sorts. Main street runs in a bow shape with the bow to the west. North and South lined on each side with eight foot cement walks (well worn), steep and slippery. Dynamo post every now and then, (very poorly lighted). Streets run in every direction except straight, named after or in honor of each state in the union. All running into some other street cutting into three cornered, flat iron, skiwampus, tooth picked, and every imaginable sort of blocks, on some of which are nice homes. The city is undermined and has an underground railroad to the amount of 50 miles. Upon her streets one may see any and everything from the miserable wretches to the happy careless and free.

On one hand we get a glimpse of China then we peek in Japan, wander over the territory of Holland, Austria, Italy, Germany, Denmark and climb some Mountain of Switzerland and take a picture of Mexico, draw a long breath as we look over into Poland, scowl as we turn and gaze upon part of Africa--or as we turn in disgust from the drunken brawls fed by the 400 saloons of once respectable citizens of the U.S., only to bump into some hophead from Chinatown. Licentiousness stalks the streets under guise of transparent skirts through which the sun's rays and the gaze of masculine gender penetrate unhesitatingly. While, if one be coming your way, one may see six inches farther south than the tanned mark of the bathing suit. The principle streets running east and west are Park and Broadway where people of the more respectable classes are seen moving maggot-like backwards and forwards, crowding, pushing jamming, and dodging. Many of the men being of foreign, half-civilized lands, gives rise to many ill manners, such as standing in the center of the sidewalk while ladies are compelled to turn and dodge from side to side. In this part of the city, we find most of the business houses such as Hennysess, Symons, etc. This part of the city on the west is intersected by once small canyons winding their way from the summit of the mountains, but now covered with a pavement of stone cut 6 x 8 and fit in neatly with brick asphalt and etc.

The flat or residential part of the concern lays at the foot of the mountains and is connected to the business part by a fairly good street car service. Here one gets a glimpse of some beautiful homes upon which some millionaire has lavished part of his diggings. Here we find the skating rink way to the west, the race track, and ball field two miles east. One enjoys a nice street car ride out on the flat (after a hot day in Butte proper), breathing the fresh air saturated with the odor from sprinkled lawns.

On out seven miles to the Lake, is one of the resorts where one could enjoy a peaceful boat ride or sit and watch the dancers in the pavilion. As we start home, one is held spellbound by the beautiful sight that the lighted city affords. In every direction one sees little flickering lights, brighter and much more numerous than the starry firmament. Butte proper looks quite like one large flame from top to bottom. We take the car and ride up some track aways, thence up Nevada to Park Street where we take the big open air garden car and enjoy a sensational three mile 10 cent ride east through East Butte, where many of the foreigners and most miners live. Up to the beautiful Columbian Gardens, built and owned by some Clark that I saw in Clarksdale, Arizona (via Jerome, Arizona); pass through the gates into a long, steep, well-lighted walk past candy, ice cream, coke, pie, peanuts, pop corn, game and show stands; get a ticket for the merry-go-round 10 cents, comfortably seated upon a galloping, stationary wooden steed, we glide swiftly around at the pace of Annie Roonie, Ragtime, etc.

Next ticket for a sensational ride (10 cents) pulled in a trolley car to the top of a framework and turned loose on a greased track to go down 30 feet, shoot up 25 feet, etc. until we land at the bottom after having had a three minute ride in a circle. Next ticket for the ferris wheel (wind mill-like). Then we pass on viewing the wild animal dens, thence east on a short stroll among the green trees and grass up to look out point, on over to the band, and join a jolly clapping crowd. Next, if one chooses to visit the German Beer Garden, a little show by itself (I presume), and they say a tough joint. Through the fishery, among the flowers over to the football diamond. Through the nursery--up to the pens of the Buffalo, wild goat, deer, sheep, elk, etc. Then a lounging position upon the green carpet of the lawn grass beside a small lake in a depression some feet below, where one leisurely watches the love making, dipping, eating, and etc. of beautiful white swans. Turning eyes eastward one may chance to see young stalwarts swinging in the air by ropes suspended from especially prepared poles. Then we take a flight of stairs to a bridge. Here we spend some time in viewing flower beds portraying names of states and statesmen, (all of this and gardens are artificial as the smoke from the once Butte Smelters killed all vegetation.) Over the bridge into the pavilion (dance) where one sees all kinds of capers, wriggling and twisting, known as the Rag, Turkey Trot, Tango and Highland fling, etc. We are now ready for Butte again. If we are desirous of continuing our ride, we may take the car on Broadway and Main, run west, turn and go northeast up to Walkerville, a ruin and demon looking hole, get off the car (end of line) drop into Brother Boams store, and take a seat at the soda fountain and call for a free dish of American lady, Cony Isle, or Cocktail: Walk over to the banana stand and cut off a few bananas, put them under your belt, bid a good evening to the Boam family and take the car and land at 509 South Main--our rooms.

JUNE 12, 1914
Visited Saints on the flat and had a real enjoyable time. Dinner at Sister Hess' home.

JUNE 13, 1914
Elder Williams and I started out tracting in the west side of the city, but finding everyone had left their homes and were making for the city main fast as possible for the big celebration, we beat it also. Everyone had been feeling the approach of trouble for some days. The miners have been taxed five dollars per month for a long time. This money utilized (as supposed by the union then) for general betterment of affairs in mining camps of Colorado, but by some means the men learned their funds were being consumed in the erection of gorgeous homes in several states for the Union President. Everybody keen for excitement and breathing the very disturbed air were anxiously awaiting further developments.

The different Unions, miners, clerks, mechanics. butchers, etc. dolled in suits fit to suit the occassion, paraded the streets for a little while, which finally at 10:15 developed into a mad scuffle, and they armed themselves. Some crazy drunken Irishman would pull off his hat, wave it in mid air, let out a warwhoop, and start up some street. Others catching the spirit followed until everyone was on the move, and it was go or get knocked down. Some one else would do the same on another street and perchance these two crowds would come together running at right angles. Many of the people landed on their heads etc. Worse than any cattle stampede I ever witnessed. People acted worse than a crowd of wild cattle-- Mad and with excitement, a furious yelping mass. Some of the men were crazy with anger, and were indeed wild. Some policeman gave a fire alarm (false) and the engines came bellowing through the crowd, which gave way for a few seconds, but finally the driver had to stop (at guns point). He was unseated, carried, and thrown through a glass front store, cutting him badly. "Down with the hall, came the cry." Everyone made a rush for the Miners Hall on North Main, where some of the men maddened beyond reason entered their own hall and began throwing the furniture through the windows from the second story. Benches, chairs, tables, and stoves, then a volley of empty whiskey bottles, more furniture and toilet equipment. The mayor was out of the city, but the assistant put in an appearance, rushed upstairs and succeeded in quieting the boys for a few seconds. He climbed up in the window, raised his hand and was going to say something to the throng of eager on-lookers. Bang came a great long table catching him in the spare ribs, hurling him head first into the broken glass forty feet below. More furniture, doors, and even the pipes, (heating) from the wall, the carpet, etc. The acting mayor received two broken arms, one broken leg, a fractured skull, and a mutilated disfigured, (in general) body in the fall. This has been an exciting day for Butte and one of history that does not occur very often.

JUNE 14, 1914
Attended four good meetings today. Apostle George Albert Smith was in attendance, his address to the Saints was fine, splendid, and a spirited one. After meeting he talked a long while to our Elders, on the sins of the world.

JUNE 15, 1914
Monday morning went out tracting. Couldn't determine just where I left off Friday, so I began by talking to a few men on the street. Had a nice conversation and succeeded in persuading one fellow to read 10 tracts. Brother Joel Richards, one of the Utah Woolen Mills salesmen, came into our room and had a little fun with us. A young widow, Anna McClane came in to see if we would oil or grease her baby, as she called it (meaning blessing), which we attended to at once. Elder Finlinson acting as mouthpiece.

JUNE 16, 1914
Left 40 tracts today. This afternoon walked up to Walkerville and visited the Boam family, ate fruit in the store and also supper.

JUNE 17, 1914
Left 28 tracts today and sold A Book of Mormon, my first and surely had to do some talking to get the lady interested, but finally succeeded. Attended a heated debate--sufferage and anti-sufferage.

JUNE 18, 1914
Elder Dutson has arrived from Billings where Elder Denham took his place. Dutson is quite a jolly and little careless fellow, but a bright, solid young man and has been out 12 months. I haven't accomplished anything today, but the trimming of the three Elder's hair.

JUNE 19, 1914
Went tracting this morning. The Elder wanted me to take a new block, but I insisted that I finish up the same one. I bounced up to a nice white door leading onto a porch a few feet from a fence. Rapped real loud, and a great bouncing greyhound came speeding down the ally to answer my call. I stepped over onto the fence and was in this position when the door swung open and a rather sweet voice rang out. Well sonny what are you doing up there and pray tell what might your business be? (I thought, "You durn idiot can't you see why I'm up here?") The dog jumping and snapping at my legs rather frightened me. I said, did you ever see Brigham Young "haha"--"No, nor George Washington either. Why, you aren't either of them." No, but I'm a brother to George and a follower of Brigham, so you see I have some truth to tell you. "All right son!" Well madam, the first truth is that I may feel more easy in explaining my message, if you will call that dog off. The dog hesitatingly left. (Guess he had tasted Mormon blood before and knowing the true worth of same was slow in leaving.) I began to reveal my true self, and from my elevated position could very easily see how she was taking each sentence. Her countenance darkened, her brow fell, lips puckered up, and I could see she was only pumping up for a final blow, which soon came and talk of storms, well, I'd rather be hit four times in the same place with lightening than to have such a tempest again. I was soon praying for the greyhound to come to my relief. Of course, her topic was plural marriage, and she gave me such a thorough rehearsal, that I decided I would make a study of Polygamy myself, so that I might take part in the next debate. She cooled off only for new starts, and finally convinced me that she knew nothing of Mormonism or indeed any other "ism." The conversation finally turned to death, and she began by rehearsing the death of her daughter, and invited me in to see a picture of her beautiful 18 year old girl. We talked about two hours. She cried a great deal, until I told her of my mother's death and my hopes. She was very interested. When I left, I handed her a card and watched her countenance brighten up when I said Brimhall is correct--"Say did you have a brother up here some two years ago?" Yes, Andrew. Well, I learned that he had escorted the young lady to the Gardens a few times. Her attitude towards Mormons suddenly changed, for they thought a great deal of Andrew. She said I looked like him, because I had such clean teeth like him. She is a fine woman, and since her daughter's death has been looking for a new religion--looking for me I think. (Julia is the daughter's name). Mrs. East is the lady. 1006-l/2 East Main.

JUNE 20, 1914
Made a watch trade today with Elders Dutson and Williams. Came off with a $22.00 outfit. We four went up to Thomson's Photo Gallery and had pictures taken. Elders Finlinson and Dutson left for Anaconda today. Visited Miss Bancroft and her sister--nice supper and visit.

JUNE 21, 1914
Sunday School lesson was "Our Life after Death." Dinner at Brother Pitman's. He gave us a ticket to a picture show, and of course, we, Elder Williams and I, stepped in and kept our eyes peeled. At supper I let the cat out of the bag by simply reiterating something we had heard there. Elder Williams blushed and said, "Keep quiet Elder Brimhall." President Finlinson took up the subject by asking a few questions and I answered them truly. They all laughed and President Finlinson said he had taught Elder Williams better than that, and expected him to teach me better as going on Sunday was strictly forbidden, and then my laugh came at Elder William's expense. My first chance of speaking tonight. I talked to the Saints ten minutes on Duties of Latter-day Saints. Got a letter from Mae in Thatcher, Arizona.

JUNE 22, 1914
Feeling rather discouraged this a.m. instead of tracting went in search of a relative, Mrs. Julia Schultz, 660 Maryland Avenue. She crossed the plains in 1856 with the Hand Cart Company under captainship of Captain Willie. Her mother died before they left England. Her stepmother and father both sunk by the roadside (died) crossing the plains--their bodies left mouldering upon the vast plains. Mrs. Schultz was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints when a child, but has kept no record of same and has no desire of doing so. Her sister was Mr. Boises' first wife, then Aunt Samantha of Salt Lake City married him. We had quite an old time chat talking on different subjects.

JUNE 23, 1914
We four Elders, Finlinson, Dutson, Williams and I were invited to take luncheon at Columbia Gardens, owned by Senator Clark, with the two Davis families, R.J. Davis, Engineer from Great Falls, Montana. Had quite an enjoyable and funny time. The Park is surely swell. Reminds me of the White Mountains. We saw all the wild animals of America--buffalo, elk, bear, coyote, fox, wolves, badgers and all the rest. The hot-house is full of swell flowers. Miss McClain and Miss Collett came in afternoon. Elder Finlinson came down to the shoot and nearly killed the whole crowd.

Held Priesthood meeting tonight and one event was the ordination of George Pitman to the Priesthood, office of a Teacher--converted by his wife. After which we went down to bid Davis family good-bye, who were on their way to the Logan Temple. While down here we were suddenly frightened by a sudden rushing together of elements in a mighty collision--everyone grabbing their ears--every few minutes a louder shot was fired, the whole city trembled, yells, shrieks, and rushing crowds of people -- everything and body was in an uproar.

JUNE 24, 1914
Have been lying around all day and helping Elders Dutson and Wiliams pack their grips for a country hike south. Had an awful time getting rid of them. Went up town and found the cause of all the noise last night. Another strike of miners, who were desirous of making bad matters worse, fired 250 lbs. of giant powder in 20 shots all of which was inside the walls of the miners hall. It's a complete wreck, blasted all to pieces. The buildings for two blocks are almost ruined. They were holding a meeting upstairs and Muckil McDonald their leader was preaching to them, everyone had their gun and as men came upstairs, they were to have ready and present "cards". One fellow W.O.W. or J.W.W. was ascending the stair, and reached in his pocket for the card. The guard thinking him reaching for a gun (as there was a howling mass of mad men outside) sent a bullet through his brain, then a volley of shots came through the window. Only one man was killed--he being a young Easterner who had just landed in Butte yesterday visiting a sister and was making his way through the crowd from the P.O. Many others injured with flying brick and random shots, every window and glass front for four blocks, every direction were lying broken upon the sidewalks.
Visited Collete and Hall families and I think it did him some good. The people here are like little children. One has to take them by the hand and stumble along with them.

JUNE 25, 1914
Elder Finlinson and I went tracting this a.m. I got kicked out of three places, but met a lady who was visiting a friend of hers. She is from N.Y. City She invited me in. I took a chair and spent two hours talking on different subjects, and taught her the Gospel from a new standpoint to her. She has many good ideas.
This afternoon we administered to Sister Smith, and Dad just came to see if we would stay all night now, 10:35.

JUNE 26, 1914
Visited a Sister Stanina and learned all her troubles from Dan to Besheba--damn such people. This evening we ate chicken supper with Brother and Sister Austin Anderson. They are a fine young couple--real nice people. Have had ill success in rearing children--Lost both of their children a few months ago. The little tots died within a few days of each other.
Home by 11:00. Oh yes, those little stickups came in bringing us candy and a picture each. Wish they would stay away. I am afraid Elder Finlinson is going to have Mrs. McLean have them stay home.

JUNE 27, 1914
Been studying, fixing up, and preparing for Sunday a.m.

JUNE 28, 1914
Sunday. Had a pretty good Sunday School. President Finlinson and Brother Shorten addressed Saints this afternoon on Apostasy from the Primitive Church, and the Restoration, and Death and Our Future Life. They were both aided by the spirit and spoke very good and with power.

JUNE 29, 1914
Went to see an investigating family, but their not being home, I went on to East Mercury and left one of "My Reasons for Leaving the Church of England," and a "Liahona." Visited Henning family on the flat this evening.

JUNE 30, 1914
Visited Mrs. East this morning, chatted to do some good, walked up to Walkerville, and had dinner at Boams. Met a lady that could make me blush with joshes--some josher. She nearly plagued us both to death, but we enjoyed the visit. Visited Colletts and a Sister on Pacific Street, Sister Gamnell. Came back to Butte by hand and went up by ear. To Priesthood Meeting at 7:30. This is the last day of June--time is flying.

JULY 1, 1914
Not feeling very pert or foxy, we visited Saints.

JULY 2, 1914
Out tracting. Pretty successful. Several interesting Gospel conversations. Asking several of them upon what was their church and doctrine based. Not a single one of them could tell. It rather plagued them. One Sister said wait a minute and ran whispering in her daughters ears, "Who founded the M.E. Church?" She didn't know and I was half feared she may ask me who was the founder--and surely it came, but the answer as quick as lightening came to me, and I unhesitatingly spat it out, "Belzibub played his part!" Laughter and then a heated debate on plural marriage, and I came in strong winded on a 15 minute rebuttal before the door came cabang and I was left preaching to my face in the glass. Knowing I needed no such going over, my enthusiasm soon died down, my temper arose, and I came near swearing.
I was sustained in Sunday School as a first intermediate teacher at the local board meeting.

JULY 3, 1914
Felt like "ell" all day--spent a few minutes tracting this morning. Been studying and sleeping this afternoon. Find I have to sleep thirty minutes every afternoon. Revisited two non-believers.

JULY 4, 1914
The sun arose in all her glory on the stars and stripes this morning, bringing to mind memories of days of celebration at home and also our trip into the White Mountains two years ago. Gee, that seems a long time ago. We dressed in black, red, and white, spending the afternoon at the Lakes. Saw a few new stunts at dancing, which I will not try to describe any further than horrible. Back to the city and took in 25 cent picture show, ice cream parlor, up to a dance for ten minutes, home and tired out. Little different from my last 4th swimming in the Verde River at Clarksdale, Arizona when we ate 28 lbs. of peaches.

JULY 5, 1914
I taught my Sunday School Class for the first time this morning. All had an instructive time and they, as well as I enjoyed it immensely. I told them a few stories about Joseph F. Smith. Sacrament Meeting at one. I bore a ten minute testimony. At 7:30 this p.m. at Mutual--Mr. McDonald gave a 40 minute lecture on Love. To bed 11:30, after listening to President Finlinson and Peterson's violin duets. Brother Parlie Dansie and wife--Sister Galorie, and Brother Suttan came in, and we had a jolly good time--on the sidewalk for a picture.

JULY 6, 1914
Distributed 70 tracts, visited 14 homes, a few revisits, preparing for town, and etc.

JULY 7, 1914
President Finlinson and I left this morning for Gregson Springs 15 miles West of Butte on the electric train with some saints to do some baptizing. Good sunshiny weather, and a happy, jolly crowd had we, including Sister Odgers and family of five. Sister Rodgers, two--daughter of Sister Rodgers (Rose), and Vera somebody, Schultz, three, and McClains. We enjoyed 1-l/2 hours plunge. During course of events, Elder Finlinson baptized Sister McClain and Eunice Odgers. I baptized Anna Schultz. Luncheon and a visit around the springs taking in a few sights. The red hot water boils up in large volumes making several lakes of the seething liquid which is piped into cement tanks known as the Gregson Plunge, where many a hand have enjoyed themselves.

JULY 8, 1914
Started out tracting this a.m., but soon found that my swim in the mineral springs had made me very weak--only stayed out one hour. That H2O surely draws the sap out of a person.

JULY 9, 1914
Left 50 tracts today. Met my Waterloo in the person of a little dried up woman. She put me on the stump and cleaned me on heaven and hell today. Just got over the scare and began telling her who is who and someone called her, so I invited myself to call again. Have been preparing a dose for her and hope to deliver it in correct manner tomorrow.

JULY 10, 1914
Been raining all day. I went out and tried to find my lady questioner to show the little woman the way to hell, but she was not at home.

JULY 11, 1914
Made another trip to call on my lady questioner, but they were not up, so made a circuit of R.R. track, and met a few fellows, and home. Out shopping. Supper at the Miss Crane home. Had lots of music by Miss Crane and President Finlinson and a jolly good time.

JULY 12, 1914
Sunday School was pretty good. Told some stories abut pioneers handcart companies. Meeting at 7:30. Brother McCalister and President Finlinson talked. No mail from my gal, and I nearly die. Blessed Mrs. McClane's baby or helped to. Then to meeting at 7:30. Brother McCalister and President Finlinson spoke.

JULY 13, 1914
Filled my pockets with books and tracts and called by my lady questioners again, but she had no time to talk until Wednesday morning, so went on tracting. Had a successful time. Talked long and kind to several nice ladies. Up to P.O., dinner at Mothers. When I got there tables were all cleared of dishes, and chairs etc. were all on tables. I looked around for awhile, and decided the boarders, cooks, or somebody had gone on the strike, so I beat it to a new place.
It rained drops as large as yearling bulls and bald headed Negros this afternoon. At 3:55 we went to the Great Falls depot to meet Brother Bourge, quite an elderly gentleman (most of his life has been spent), who took us to luncheon at 4:25 and then gave us $l.00 each besides. Up to Hennings for supper at 7:30. Feel effects of over eating. To bed. 11:55.

JULY 14, 1914

Tracting and delivered 56 tracts this morning. Had several nice talks, and back by Andrews where we administered to Sister Andrews. Over to Halls for supper. Mrs. Hall is a Presbyterian. Her husband a Mormon. She runs the roost, and quite religious, and we had it hot and heavy. To Priesthood Meeting at 8:00.

JUNE 15, 1914
Wednesday, being said day of meeting that little dried up deceitful woman, who told one more lie to her credit. She was not in, so began tracting. Found a Christian Science lady who seemed quite sincere, but telling me that if one doesn't think a thing is so, it isn't, etc. No reason in her at all. She wanted to do all the talking and began after a little rest, by saying," Let your light, (or truth be put up so high and shine) so brightly that everyone may see it like unto the Apostle Peter." I said, Oh come down Sister Peter, your light has gone out. Come to earth and I'll give you a little light.

JUNE 16, 1914
Nothing doing. Tracting this morning and visited Brother and Sister Gabelson's home this afternoon.

JULY 17, 1914
Marks my most successful days tracting so far. Left 84 tracts and several dandy good talks. Went teaching among Saints this evening with W. H. Peterson. Sold a Book of Mormon.

JULY 18, 1914
Been writing all day.

JULY 19, 1914
Sunday morning again. I told the children some Book of Mormon stories. Met two new Mormon girls. I spoke 25 minutes on the Law of Tithing this evening in Sacrament Meeting--story of blind man with one eye, one leg, one arm.

JULY 20, 1914
Tracting. Out to Rowes. They being Arizona people, (a Gardener girl) we had quite a rehearsal of Arizona events. Blessed the baby. Ice cream and then to a show at the American Theatre in company of the Branch Pres. C. H. Peterson--wild west scenes--fellows spooning the old cook or waitress. I laughed a good deal.

JULY 21, 1914
Tracting this morning. Met a Catholic lady who expressed her opinion as a very sympathetic one for we poor dupes (Mormon Elders). Well, Madam, you are just the kind of person we have been wanting to meet--I need sympathy. She stated that she had made two elders ashamed of themselves a year ago. Getting more interested, I asked her to make me ashamed of myself if she could. We had it up and down. She stated that the prophets said in the latter times people would be guided by the spirit of the devil. I firmly agree with you sister, and it seems those prophecies are being fulfilled to the very letter, especially this afternoon.

JULY 22, 1914
Serious time tracting this morning. Everyone that would talk wanted to do it all, and on everything save religion. Met a used-to-be-Mormon. A red-headed hell tutor, and we surely had it up and down. She cursed every Mormon she knew saying they were mean to her and had mistreated her. But still she persisted in being mean to me, so damn her. Well madam, you believe the Golden rule don't you? Oh yes. Beg to differ or you would not cuss me so much right here within the hearing of this crowd of people. Can't begin to remember all she said, but never will forget her face.
Met Ruth Henning, who is working for a Catholic family and joshed her a little. Got some peas and left two bunches of tracts for her to deliver to the people she is working for. Quite a jolly kid. Out to the Lake for refreshment.

JULY 23, 1914
Nothing doing today. Howards.

JULY 24, 1914
Spent the day at the typewriter--all thumbs. Out to Austin Andersons for supper. Had a nice time, music and etc.

JULY 25, 1914
Ran the typewriter all day long--some tired. Out to Brother Pa Andersons for supper, then up to hold a street meeting in town, but our cucumbers made us belch so badly we didn't dare try it. Saw Hazel Dawn in picture show, the Mormon actress.

JULY 26, 1914
Sunday. To Sunday School and then out to the Gardens with a crowd of young people for luncheon. Some swell time. To meeting at 7:30 where we listened to Brother Shorten on Pioneer days in commemoration of the L. D. Saints 1847, and 1830 to 1856 etc.

JULY 27, 1914
Out to the Lake and baptized Brother Heart and son. The old gentleman threw his tobacco in the H2O saying he was done with the weed.

JULY 28, 1914
Out to the Gardens with a party of Mormons after three hours of heat at tracting. Gave out 100 tracts. To Priesthood Meeting. We have a blackboard and are studying the Articles of Faith by outlining each lesson on the blackboard.

Have omitted the fact that we have held ten street meetings. My first one was listening to Elder Finlinson. Looked easy, so after singing a song the next night I began to speak--I called flagging them, but never had anyone save Finlinson, but I was telling him what and how to do. Finally got quite a crowd. All the time I was shaking so hard I could hear my teeth rattle and my knees were weak, but a strong voice. Had a nice lot for Finlinson to preach to and was feeling I had done excellent. I was anxious to try again, but the kind of anxious is hard to explain.

JULY 29, 1914
I spent three hours tracting this morning and delivered 100 tracts--a little revisiting this afternoon.

JULY 30, 1914
Delivered 105 tracts this morning.

JULY 31, 1914
This evening went to Sister Odgens and had a nice time. William Peterson came in. Rose and Miss Vera Henry and a few others. Supper and then refreshments later on. Quite a time. To bed by twelve.

AUGUST 1, 1914
Saturday we spent studying, up town for supper and mail. During the course of events decided we would hold a street meeting. We began by singing as usual. I was carrying the lead and Elder Finlinson singing tenor. We made it OK until the last three words, and then I broke and our few listeners laughed, and we could only smile. I began flagging and had four when we began, and they received some kind of an idea that I was a Mormon and gave us a slur and mocked on. I kept up steam and turned around and preached to a fellow standing in a window on the opposite side of the street. In a few minutes I saw some young fellows coming our way and said, "Hey boys, come over. I want to tell you something." I began preaching--they guessed who I was and made away, bringing from a coming crowd laughter. I said damn, you can laugh if you want to and kept preaching. Next thing I knew I was surrounded by a great crowd of eager listeners while I proposed the ordinance of baptism, etc. One little dwarf, being first to stop, was now tiptoeing with gaping jaws to catch each word. During the procedure I was telling what Peter had said of baptisms. A great 250 lb. whiskey bloak came staggering across the street and made his way by elbowing up through the crowd. He came up and looked me in the face and said, "Who in hell's Peter?" The little dwarf stopped him and slapped him on the side of his head. Others snickered at him as he made his way on out. A few minutes later I never had a single soul, but kept on preaching, even Elder Finlinson had stepped around the corner. A few seconds later ,a great greyhound came up, sat down in front of me, and while he sat there on his haunches looking me in the face with a pitiful yapping look, for one instance I felt I had better quit--when a dog will pay more attention to a fellow than his brothers and sisters. Then a second thought came, that if I could interest a dog, I ought to be able to interest someone, so kept on preaching. During the course of my sermon I told that dog he ought to be baptized and be a man. Laughter came from a groceryman across the street. I turned and said, "A Jew and a dog isn't a bad crowd to preach to." He switched into his store and another crowd of fellows came out of a saloon in time to see and hear. They roared like a pack of wolves and came over. Well, when I turned the time over to Finlinson, who had come back, we had a nice large crowd. Street meetings are an experience no one will know, only they who try.

AUGUST 2, 1914
Sunday morning to Sunday school and had good Sunday School. Children bore testimonies and they were simple, sincere, and cute. Some of the children love teasing, and they are very funny. The one fellow says, "My leg got broke and God healed it."
President Peterson gave us $l.00 for dinner. At mutual Mrs. McDonald read a paper on prohibition, but it being so long, made it monotonous. No one enjoyed it very much because it was too long and had some anti-Mormon doctrine. Brother Hubbard's recitation was fine and hard to beat. At Sacrament meeting there were four of us--two Elders and Bishop, and first Counselor.

AUGUST 3, 1914
Monday morning tracting again, but didn't do much. Out to Mrs. Craines for supper and got poisoned on something, and we were sicker than two dogs.

AUGUST 4, 1914
Feeling too sickly and rocky for working this morning. Saw the Sells Photo Parade and spent the evening with Elder Ricks and Elder Smith and learned some few things that were going on in the Church, and out of it.

AUGUST 5, 1914
I left one hundred tracts this morning and 70 in the street meeting tonight. We had a good big street meeting. I started it and got a good crowd, then turned them over to Brother Smith, the Idaho Falls flour man. He did most of the talking and has been on three missions, so he pretty well knows how to act in a street meeting. He let them have it, and told them this was a last warning to the world. They hissed and the spirit of Satan commenced his work. We could hardly give our literature away. A certain lady kept annoying Brother Smith, while he was talking on Baptism asking such questions as "Who was Martin Luther and what did Martin Luther say to his mother?"--she wasn't answered. People began crying you're afraid to answer the lady. He stopped and she asked or said she thought sprinkling was as good as immersion. Smith quick as lightening said, "My lady, the trouble is you have no think coming. What you want to do, is to do as God says and not as your doe head directs." There was much laughter and he wasn't disturbed by her any more. God's ideas and hers don't agree. The spirit was there a few minutes in Joel Ricks.

Smith and a few more traveling men were in their rooms. They were telling stories about different men in the Church and what they had and were doing. They were complaining of Apostles and even President Joseph F. Smith. Ricks said he was not using his authority in receiving revelation, etc. When they had done, they remarked that they had made a mistake in talking so before a young Elder, meaning me. I said all such fellows as you can tell it doesn't bother me. I feel stronger than ever, for I know these men are trying to do their duties. They said, well boys, let's finish up our sight seeing and then to bed. All right, so we went out on the street and I of course, didn't know where they were going, but thought it OK if Elders, as most of them were, would not go where they should not. Finally, through their conversation I tumbled as to where they were going. Smith said he had been through stockades in Scotland, Britain, especially London, Germany, and etc., but Butte was worse than any of them. When we came to Park and Main, I turned and said, "Good night fellows." Hey, come on kid, see something. I can see enough on the streets for me. Oh, that's nothing. "Well gentlemen ,if I could do any good by going there, I would, but I can't. I have never been inside one yet and if God helps me I never shall." Finlinson and I passed silently over down Main Street to 509 South Main and peacefully to bed.

AUGUST 6, 1914
Today I spent three hours tracting. Left 100.

AUGUST 7, 1914
Left 25 tracts today.

AUGUST 8, 1914
Spent the day in studying the Gospel. Elder Finlinson left for Helena and elsewhere over the Conference at 3:00. I spent the evening at Odgens and we three--little girls and I went to a show.

AUGUST 9, 1914
Sunday. I attended two meetings. President Ballard came in and held meetings with us. He gave us a fine talk, and we had a pretty good time. Pitman took we three, President Ballard, Pete, and I after we had dined at Sister Smiths, out to visit his prospective cement brick mill and the Gardens. President Ballard was sick all night.

AUGUST 10, 1914
Monday morning. I spent the day in typewriting and saw a parade. Dinner at Shortens. I was sick all night.

AUGUST 11, 1914
Too sick to do much tracting. To Priesthood meeting.

AUGUST 12, 1914
Wednesday. Spent forenoon tracting, then up to Hathaways and tried to get her to have the children baptized, but nothing doing. President Finlinson was in when I came back. We held a street meeting--good crowd. Several fellows jumped onto us with questions after we quit. One, an old Josephite, followed us to our room and stayed until 12:30. He was crazy as a bug.

AUGUST 13, 1914
Went tracting and then up to hold a meeting, but our hearts failed us. We saw Brother Hall leaning up against a house dead drunk pulling at a cigar--effect of a big row at home. His wife left him again. We went down to the depot to meet President Joseph F. Smith and party returning in private car from Canada. A jolly good crowd--fine people.

AUGUST 14, 1914
More tracting and then up to hold a street meeting. Anna came along and wouldn't leave us, so we held no meeting. Two young people knew us, and they kept snickering at us. I finally caught their eye, and they soon left.

AUGUST 15, 1914
Studying forenoon then to Lakes with Anna and Mrs.--fine lady. Spent evening at Howards and helped him drill a well six feet.

AUGUST 16, 1914
President Finlinson left for a two week stay in Billings, so I am alone. To Sunday School, then wrote to Mae, and home. To meeting--Brother Hengre and I spoke. I drilled for 22 minutes--left them laughing. Brother Black from Helena came in late also another Brother.

AUGUST 17, 1914
Monday. Tracting again. Then spent five hours conversing with a fellow we met in our last street meeting. Very reasonable.

AUGUST 18, 1914
Tracting again. Then to Rowes for supper and back to Priesthood.

AUGUST 19, 1914
Spent all day studying, working and making preparations to meet a certain Jew, Mr. Gross (that we met after a street meeting) who is coming to our room. Went up town and while coming home, met him coming to the room. He came at the appointed time. Thus, showing his word is good. As we stepped upon the porch, we saw a gentleman, dusty, travelworn, not having the appearance of being overly blessed in a material way or being overflushed with worldly means. He wore a large white felt hat--his hair was dark and tinged with gray, his eyes, speaking for themselves, fairly sparkled from beneath a dark complexion. From his bearing one would judge him to be 60-65 years old (is 69). His shoes would have soaked up no small amount of blacking. He gently offered his hand and asked if I was a Brimhall. Then I could see through his kind smile that he was George H. Brimhall, President of B.Y.U., Provo, Utah. I wanted to call him George H., but didn't hardly like to bring his name to that. But, finally I asked and sure enough it was. Well, one more of my prayers were answered by my having seen him now, for I always wanted to see him. We three had a real nice and very instructive bout or discussion on religion, and we found Mr. Gross very nice and gentlemanly in his arguments and very reasonable. Before he left, I sold him a Book of Mormon. During the course of the conversation, Mr. Gross was objecting to the Book of Mormon because there was no trace of the place where Joseph Smith took the plates--no hole there etc. President Brimhall said, "My friend, don't you know if there would have been left a hole to our view, men would have dug it up etc. and furthermore, God never gave any man a testimony of the Gospel by holes in the ground. I escorted President Brimhall to the train after a few hours of talk, which I enjoyed. He came to my rescue several times in our debate, and I feel very well paid for my evening spent in their company. We surely meet lots of people and most of the very elect come to see us. I have met Apostle George Albert Smith, President M. J. Ballard, President Joseph F. Smith, wife and daughter and his son David O. Smith, President George H. Brimhall, Bishop Nibley, and wife, (who is the sister to Brother Joel Ricks one of our acquaintances), R. R. Lyman, Brother Cannon Williams, Black, and a Smith that helped us hold a street meeting-- Brother Hugie Little Smith one of Louis Carden's boys.

AUGUST 20, 1914
I spent the day tracting and did fairly well. To dinner at mothers and then over to Mrs. Jenkins. She is a Mormon, but hasn't been to church for two years and in fact has but little religion in her system. Had a nice little visit, and she treated me OK. Her two daughters: Hazel (is married and has two children), and Mamie 13 years old.
Then to the room and studied. To that infernal board meeting. Bought a bottle of S.S.S. and then home. It's just one year ago tonight that Ernest Abbot and I landed in Winslow going home from Clarksdale. Wish I was going again. Maybe my gal would be more pleased to see me coming now. Fierce lightening and a little rain this evening. Pope Pious X died August 19, 1914--big day for Catholics.

AUGUST 21, 1914
This morning I spent in tracting, then I wrote a letter to the Shumway family. Down to Horselys and then up to Odgens for supper and played pomp with the children. Big time--home and to bed.

AUGUST 22, 1914
I ate my pie this morning and copied a letter and up to the post office and dinner and chasing around in the room all day fixing reports, etc.

AUGUST 23, 1914
To the post office at 9:00 this morning, back and to Sunday School by 10:30. After Sunday School President C. H. Peterson and I were asked to the Bateman home to administer to a sick child five or six years old. Peterson anointed her--I sealed the anointing and asked God to bless her, and shortly afterwards she insisted in sitting in a chair, (something she had not been able to do for days on account of typhoid fever), where she stayed for sometime. Once more God has shown his power.

AUGUST 24, 1914
Left 140 tracts this morning, studied for awhile. Visited the Bateman home--little girl feeling better. To Hennings and had a fine supper which I enjoyed immensely. Talked of Arizona--cow punching--finally drifted onto Ten Tribes. Two young ladies came in and seemed very much shocked to have talked to a Mormon cowboy turned preacher--quite a laugh. Home and to bed by eleven. Good night you all at home.

AUGUST 25, 1914
I woke late this morning due to my not getting in from Hennings till late, and while I was upstairs showering and preparing for breakfast, two ladies came to see me. Mrs. Ma Tucker said I was out, so after awhile they came back, and I invited Sisters Agnes Campbell and Agnes Clive (daughter of musician Clive SS Centy) into the room. They had been on a trip into Canada where they attended conference. We went to the Depot in search of some Brethren as Sister Campbell (old maid) put it. Prof. Brimhall of B.Y.U., Brother Kimball and Apostle Richards, and two Christensen girls. The Brethren had left, so we started for the Gardens. I was chaperoning four women, and Sister Campbell age 50+ and not married acted like a kido--crazy lady, and everyone we saw she told them we were Mormons from Salt Lake City. She said, "Now you people on this street car needn't be feared as we left our homes in our suit cases." She was the joke of our whole crowd. Miss Clive is a pretty nice girl--ugly but cute and is quite a bag of pills and full of fun. We had a fine time. And Sister or Aunt Agnes as we called her kept us laughing with her Mormon stunts all day--never did find the Brethren and every few minutes she wanted to go look for them. We found a fellow "her Irishman". She joshed him a good deal, and he invited us to luncheon at 5:00 just below the Gardens. We went over at 4:30, but they were not home, and a lady informed us that he had been on a whiz and got after his wife with an axe, and she fled to the neighbors for safety and then he followed and had all the neighbors crazy. Policeman finally put him in jail, and he had just got out on bonds. We did't stayed for supper and took the next car home--joshing Aunt Agnes. Came to the room, then I took Christensen, the Wyoming girls to the track and where I met some of the Brethren and had a jolly time. Read some very encouraging words. Back to the room, and the two sisters and I went to Smiths, then to the Cafeteria. Then to Priesthood meeting. Sister Campbell talked for five minutes, then C.H. Peterson and I took them to the R.R. Miss Clive is a great musician. Her family play orchestra for Sunday School in the 18th Ward. Their addresses are Agnes S. Campbell, 124 North State, and Agnes C. Clive, 116 North State, Salt Lake City and Flossie Christensen and Minnie Christensen--sisters, Cowley, Wyoming.

AUGUST 26, 1914
Left one hundred tracts this morning, then up to post office, and spent the afternoon studying subject, Life after death, and started a letter to Brother Andrew. Brother Boam phoned for me to come to Walkerville, so I had to make a trip to Walkerville. Took car and landed there at 11:00 and helped make arrangements for the funeral of a little three year old boy. Took the last car for center of city. Home by 11:45. All in.

AUGUST 27, 1914
Feeling mighty punk today, sick all night. Went tracting and nearly fainted several times before I got back. Up to the post office and then tried to sleep my sickness off this afternoon, but nothing doing. To Sunday School preparation meeting, but it was nibs. Dad Benson promised to sure be there, but he came not. President Finlinson has arrived but is upstairs in bathtub, so no see him yet, but it looks good to see his hat hanging in its usual place. Feeling like a sick cat just now---here he comes so---.

AUGUST 28, 1914
Everything went off pretty well today. Nice large crowd at the funeraland enjoyable time. Brothers Boam, D. E. and Dad Benson did the speaking and gave some good advice. Rode to the graveyard in an auto. South of Butte we laid the little boy beside his mother, who had preceded him a few months. My thoughts, of course, drifted back to a time of something over a year ago, when we laid the remains of our dear mother in the peaceful grave's embrace.

AUGUST 29, 1914
Not having been out of the city since I came here in June, decided I should go to Anaconda and hold a meeting with the Saints there, so I boarded the westbound electric train and rode safely to Anaconda 27 miles. I landed in Anaconda tonight and stopped at the home of Henry Scessions--Danish people. Sister Scessions knew Jesse N. Smith and is a relative to President Lund. Met Sister Scadan who went to New Zealand on a small ship with Elders R.S. Shumway and Silas Decker to visit her husband who was there on a mission

AUGUST 30, 1914
Sunday evening I spoke to them 42-1/2 minutes in meeting. Then to Scessions. Found a merry party of Danes and enjoyed a happy time.

AUGUST 31, 1914
Coming in from Anaconda and passing over those little valleys, farms, and truck gardens, etc. made me homesick for a few minutes, but soon passed. Seemed like coming home to land in Butte again.

Left 64 tracts this day, but due to the entrance of the State Militia in Butte to quell the disturbances of the past three months, everything and body were a stir, and it was the topic of the day. Men had been masking and plundering the stores, store houses, saloons, business houses, and private homes. Have been women on the streets who were helped up and to bed by masked men--a good many lives lost and everyone in danger--a high time. The militia have been quelling the racket and diminishing the column of bloody deeds committed on the previous night and recorded in the morning paper--especially the Butte miners.
Met some people from Bighorn country (Cowley, Wyoming) going to Salt Lake City (L.D.S.) for school. To priesthood meeting, but nothing doing. Mr. Houge visited us for a few minutes.

Tracting and then had a nice visit with Mr. Gross. Nothing much doing. Dinner at the cafeteria. I forgot my bread and a fellow helped me out. Home and letter to Mae. Supper in cafeteria and to Mrs. Jenkins for a few minutes. They are not much good for anything and have all fallen by the wayside--husband and father a wretched drunkard.
Saw the troops unloading their ammunition into the court house. Big cannons looking hungrily down each street--one on top of the Court House. Big guns and a search light as penetrating as the sun operating on the hill from a point overlooking the city. Heavily armed troops dressed in U.S. uniforms patrolling the streets. Saloons closed and all crowds dispersed--no meetings allowed us. Everything dead except people. They are cursing the troopers for carrying out orders. The boys are surely dirty and look quite travel worn and are all young stalwarts, which brings from spectators slighting remarks, but I notice everything and body are much more calm. I am really and truly glad to see the boys as, I have been a little feared for many of Butte's people.

Didn't feel extra well this morning. Did a little tracting in misery then to Howards by ear--some hiking. Something like two miles. No one home. Finlinson had a skeleton key that fit the door, so we went in. Everything was upside down--we straightened things up and began supper. Rested till they came, and then hid from them. When they came had quite an argument with Howard on the militia. Lock Howard has no use for a soldier--the durn bonehead, he doesn't know much and what he does know he picked up from some else. One time he came to Church and sat on the back seat behind a big hat under which was a woman, and has never been back since, because the Elders never asked the lady to remove her hat. He began telling how Rockey-feller owned us all. Home by eleven thirty.

Little tracting then to Odgers for a discussion and had some arguments --we hold for the militia. To the Broadway Theatre 8:30. Shepherd of the Hills staged--fine story, good play and characters represented OK. Wish all of Butte people could have seen it, especially young men and women.
"Tongues in trees, Books in running brooks, Sermons in Storms and Good in Everything."
Books in brooks.
Sermons in stones and good in everything.
May God bless all in especially time of temptation.

Spent today in typing some of my life. Down to Hemmings for supper. Had a fine time. They are surely great people. Stuff a fellow clear full and then give him more. Back to the room by 8:30 and found Miss Bradberry, and Miss Violet practicing songs for Sunday Mutual. Neva and Myrtle were here and Miss Dits.

Sunday--Big rush on this morning, pressing clothes, bathing etc. Good Sunday School and bore my testimony in Sacrament Meeting. Miss Dits, Mrs. McTucker and Mrs. Harris went to Mutual with us. President Finlinson spoke on origin of Bible. Miss Bradberry sang. Never miss the fine Odgers sisters. And a little child shall lead them--surely cute. Peterson C.H. sang. Am going to bed full and happy.

Owing to the big holiday at the Gardens, we spent the day in studying. Went uptown in the evening for a little while.

Raining this morning so we did no tracting. Instead did some pretty good studying. No mail today. The second time that we have gone to P.O. for nothing. Seeing the students going up the streets with pencils and tablets makes me think of home and days gone by.
Out to Austin Andersons for supper and had pigeons and chicken, fine time--evening of jokes--came home by R.R. and the atmosphere is quite chilly--going to freeze. Overcoats and furs flinging in every direction now.

Spent two hours tracting. Left two hundred. Visited little Bateman girl and she feels no better, much fever--is quite high again. Looked in the stores for trunk and suit case. President Finlinson finally bought a $14.50 trunk, but I couldn't find what I wanted. To Sister Andrews for supper. Danced waltz with her. Fun with Mrs. Carmicle, and played some fine pieces on Victrola. Home and had a nice musical. Mr. and Mrs. Harris, Hougie, Miss Bradberry, Mr. William Peterson. Ice Cream and a jolly time. We had ended by singing the "Star Spangled Banner," cause we are all going to separate and leave for different fields of labor. Miss Dits and Miss Bradberry are going home.

SEPTEMBER 10, 1914
Did some tracting. Met Mrs. Davis and her fierce old cat.
Visited Brother William Wood and family--fine people. Went to see the little Bateman girl at 9:30 and found Brother and Sister Andrews, Dad and Sister Smith. Dad was standing in the door getting ready to leave when we came up, and it nearly scared him to death. He jumped back. The little girl is better. The lady of the adjoining room came in and chatted a little while. Found a of little book of history at library, and brought it home.
The search lights are being flourished all night. Things are still in an uproar. Surely everybody cussing the soldiers. Barber sentenced 60 days for refusing to cut militiamen's hair. Muskie McDonald, the new union leader was captured in a rooming house at 109 South Main and three men and landlady for helping them. Muskie was hiding behind the piano--came out like a sheep when ordered and, of course, was reluctant at accepting a bed of stone inside the prison bars. They have been hunting him for some time.

SEPTEMBER 11, 1914
Few hours tracting then to dinner. Bought me a small grip [type of suitcase]. Got reports from mission and came in third on roll of honor in tracting 1913. Bought music scroll from President Finlinson, 50 cents. Spent the evening at Cranes and came home in sleet storm--our first snowstorm today--pretty durn cold--been awfully windy and dirty today. Tired, hungry, and forlorn.

SEPTEMBER 12, 1914
Was snowing yearling bulls and little Irishmen this morning when we came alive, and surely looked cold outside. Have been studying all day long, writing, etc. Pumped a little Mormonism into Cobbler Bell who fixed my shoes for me for one and 1/2 $. He says Brigham Young was indeed a great man. Has been snowy, cold, and miserable all day, but have had a pleasant time studying. My, the time surely flies, and we get so little done. One week of school gone already at home.

SEPTEMBER 13, 1914
Sunday morning cold and snowy. Didn't do much in Sunday School. Didn't have my lesson. To Smith's for dinner at 5:00 and then to Church and talked on Opportunity. Did pretty good. Spent few minutes in Mrs. Mc's. room. Mr. and Mrs. Harris.

SEPTEMBER 14, 1914
Pretty cold tracting this morning. Spent the afternoon in studying plural marriage. Down to Brother Andersons for supper. Bob kept bothering us and we pulled off some stunts on him. After supper we had quite a heated argument on Joseph Smith and translating. I said Joseph had other means of translating than Urim and Thumin. Had to prove it by 100 years of Mormonism. I finally won my point and established the fact of help coming from a stone. Also a few other statements. Coming home in the rain and sleet. Quite cold and pleasant. I nearly froze today.

SEPTEMBER 15, 1914
Spent a little time in cold tracting this morning, then went to see Mr. Gross. He took Mormonism down the line to beat the band, and got so excited he flung the Book of Mormon across the house, denounced Joseph Smith and every Mormon, and trembled like a leaf. I let him cool off for a few minutes and gave him my humble opinion, and then teemed it into him good and heavy but to no avail--parted good friends. He gave me a pamphlet and some of its points were very good, and I find that some of our leaders had some bad faults, as well as good, but never-the-less, this is a good work. Spent evening at Boams. Letter from Dicie. Andrew has had typhoid for 5 weeks. Joseph sick.

SEPTEMBER 16, 1914
Have been studying all day. This afternoon Mrs. Harris touched a funny chord in our behavior and started us on a crazy streak singing. We asked Mrs. McTucker for a glass of jelly and loaf of bread both singing.
President Peterson came in and we rehearsed a few scenes. Went to a picture show. It was characteristic of the day for living. Then to supper--had raw oysters, glass of milk, raw cabbage, pie and water--feel like I had swallowed an acre of green fodder. Tired, sore-eyed and sleepy.
Good night Bill

SEPTEMBER 17, 1914
After a few hours of eventful and maybe my last tracting in Butte, we broke up house keeping this afternoon, surely some job. When I came into Butte three months ago, I had a pair of unsanitary socks and an old worn out necktie in my suitcase. I now have two suitcases jammed and an armful besides. Went to Smith's with our junk and to Howards for supper. Had a fine time.

SEPTEMBER 18, 1914
Called on some of our neglectful saints in East Butte. None of the Collete family astir save Lucrassie, and she had just crawled out in her night shirt and had no socks under her slippers and was hugging her fellow around. We got sick and left--some pups nest. Wrote a letter to Mae from the library, and when we landed at Smiths again, found some young ladies from Wyoming. Had a nice little visit with them. Went up to Richards and blessed three children. I blessed James Francis Richards about two years old. In remarks I asked that the parents might have the spirit of the Lord to help them rear their family in love of Him who keeps us all. That they would put the feeling of church work and duty into their children. Brother Richards broke down and cried and had to leave the room. They have been a little careless and neglectful for some time. Then to Shortens and up to supper at a restaurant at Northeast of Main Street. To a show and then to ice cream. The show was quite educational. Animals and their hunters in Africa.

SEPTEMBER 19, 1914
From Butte to Anaconda. On our way we stopped at Gregson Springs, and I baptized Leo Richards. President Finlinson confirmed him--13 years old. Had a good swim, then to Anaconda. Met Brother Nelson then came to Ames, and am here at present enjoying life only sleepy and hungry. Anaconda is a real nice little city of some 13 thousand supported by the smelters. Very few street cars, etc.

SEPTEMBER 20, 1914
Sunday morning and raining to beat the band. To Sunday School and had a real pleasant time. I took charge of one class. Searched volumes of Liahonas and found considerable information. To Ames and after dinner we read from the volumes of the Liahona. Rained all day. To meeting at 7:30 and talked 15 minutes on Opportunity. President gave them a little talk on Bible history.

SEPTEMBER 21, 1914
Monday left Ames and went to Davises. Had dinner. While there Samuel Davis a son who had not been conforming his life to the teachings of the Gospel was quite bashful in asking to be administered to. During the administration his mother cried. I invited him to Hougies for supper and stayed all night. We met Brother Lee at his daughters place and had a fine visit with him. Having been on a mission, he can surely explain things OK. We asked him a number of pretty good questions, and he reasoned them all out OK.
Sometimes we run across a fellow that will clean us, and for a little while we doubt some things, then after studying a little while we cannot help but know it is truth.

SEPTEMBER 22, 1914
Out of bed at 5:30 this morning and took a good lot of exercise while President slept. Had breakfast at 7:00, and left Anaconda for Butte at 8:00,--anded here at nine. Had for dinner at Dad's stink fish, cheese, milk, and grapes.

Enter Anaconda from the north by electric train passing through suburbs where many of the workmen, and Italians live. Land at a beautiful Milwaukee depot. Take street car and run east, west, north or south along well kept streets. They have a ball park in the center of the city, and an animal park out 1-1/2 miles west, and north a bird hatchery. On top of the hill east, stands the smelter where many a man is employed. Most of the population are Catholic dupes.

SEPTEMBER 23, 1914
While at Dad's wrote a letter home and Brother Martin, Bishop Nibley, and a Sister Ballard from Wyoming came in. We had a very enjoyable and instructive few hours. Pressed my suit, and then we five left for the Gardens. Two women of the play Whip went with us coming home. I told one lady our business. She asked if the people were not getting too broad minded nowadays to accept Mormonism. I said there is where the trouble comes. They are not broad minded enough.

SEPTEMBER 24, 1914
Left Butte for Helena at 8:00 this morning. The people climbed into the train by the scores every time it stopped at every little station. President Finlinson and I finally had to give up our seat. People were jammed in tight in the isles. We landed in Helena at 11:10 a.m.. Elders Barney and Anderson were there to meet us and a happy old pair are they. We went to the fair in the afternoon, and saw some very beautiful exhibits, but Arizona need not lay down for any of them. Met some people of ours. At night went into the Plaser Hotel, where the Butte Band, a very accomplished set, were playing. While there they rendered, "Custers Last Fight"--very beautiful. To Carrolls for sleeping at 11:30 after visiting Brother Black.

SEPTEMBER 25, 1914
Dutson and Williams came in from Dillion, Challis country, and Butte. We visited all forenoon, and Barney Anderson (an Arizonan) and I went to the state capitol and then waited at the Depot for the Billings Elders, Mitchell and Denham. No come.

SEPTEMBER 26, 1914
Elders Denham and Mitchell came in from Billings, and we all went to the Fairgrounds. Then came back at 5:00 and posted our Conference Bills and distributed 500 among the people. Then to Broadwater and had a dandy good swim for 2-1/2 hours.

SEPTEMBER 27, 1914
Sunday. President Ballard was at the church house when we got there, and we held Priesthood meeting. All Elders reported. Surely had a fine spirit. I never enjoyed such a spirit before as I did there.
Meeting at 2 o'clock. Conference President Finlinson was released and President Mitchell sustained. Barney and Williams went to Great Falls. Mitchell, Denham, and Dutson to Butte. Anderson and I to Billings. President Ballard spoke on the war in the Eastern hemisphere at the 7:30 Meeting.

SEPTEMBER 28, 1914
We bid farewell to all the Elders and saints in Helena and left for Bozeman at 11:35. Landed here at 3:10 and out of all the men standing there, I asked the right one for information--A brother to Brother Nelse Lundwall's wife.

SEPTEMBER 29, 1914
Found Brother Lundwall in the Ranger office and went to dinner after he told us of his life experience. Read some of his papers. Brother Lundwall is a very smart man. His parents apostitized and joined the Josephite faction. His father finally came back into the Church, but his mother is still a Josephite--one sister, a methodist. The boys, Nelse and Ollie through the efforts of the Elders were converted and in turn converted their wives and a Miss Hansen--Sister Hansen's daughter. (Brother Lundwall was a Dane and filled a mission in Norway.) He came to America and was misled. We went to Sister Duffs for supper and then to Hansens for sleeping.

SEPTEMBER 30, 1914
We visited Sister Nelson today and found two more children to be baptized, and this afternoon. Elder Anderson baptized all three of them. I confirmed two of them members of the Church. Then up to Sister Duffs for supper and to the Lundwalls for sleeping. Sat up until 11:30 conversing on different principles.

OCTOBER 1, 1914
Breakfast at Lundwalls and discussed the probability of a meeting and are preparing for the same. Got a picture of their little boy. The people here are surely glad to see us and we enjoy a dandy good spirit among them, and I don't think we will be forgotten very soon.

OCTOBER 2, 1914
Left for Big Timber after dinner at Nelse Lundwalls and a picture. Landed in Big Timber at 5:00. Found the Curtis family and spent an enjoyable meeting with them. Found them a little weak in some principles. Visited the Olsens.

OCTOBER 3, 1914
Spent a little time at Sister Olsens. Then came back and have been writing and fixing reports. To Sister Olsens for dinner.
I Left for Park City and traveled east for 55 miles down the Yellowstone River. When we landed in Park City at 1:30 p.m. we encountered a snow storm, which we faced one mile to Brother Smiths. We found that Brother L. M. Smith lived across the flat northwest of the depot. We started across the flat with suitcases, but bogged down in the mud. Took suitcases back to depot and tried again. Found Smiths home and well. Also one of her daughters with three little tots, one pair of twins. They surely made us welcome--fine people--old and gray having raised a large family. At 5:30 Brother Smith hitched his team, and we went and brought our suitcases. Sister Smith made me a dose of Rileys tea for my cold, and I piled into bed at 11:00.

OCTOBER 4, 1914
A most peaceful Sunday I have spent in many a day--reading, conversing on doctrine, etc. Had dinner at 2:00 and took a little walk to the canal, orchards, gardens and so on--some fine fruit. Cold as Norway and then some. Sang some songs of Zion and had supper. Also some more tea.

OCTOBER 5, 1914
When we awoke found it was snowing and has been all day. Helped move a stove, and wiped dishes for Sister Smith. They are about 70 years old. Brother Smith hitched his team and drove us to the depot. We left at 3:17 p.m., riding down the Yellowstone River--a beautiful stream. Some farming country--great stacks of hay, grain, and sugar beets on either side of the tracks--productive country. R.R. runs through the center of the city, streets and street cars run east and west. The Railyard is on the east side of the city. We came in from the west and landed in Billings at 4:00. Walked down Montana Avenue eleven blocks west, south 5 blocks and west again 6 blocks to the Lowes home-124 South 31st. Found Sister Lowe. The south siders are common people, the north siders aristocratic and some beautiful homes. Billings lies between two rocky cliffs north and south and on the north side of the Yellowstone. The plunge, baseball diamond, and skating rink are on the south side. Sister Crosby being very sick, we were called to her bed side to administer to her. Met a Lewis boy from Idaho. Since landing in Billings we have been trying to stir the saints to the idea of a Sunday School. In fact, we were sent here for that purpose. Have had all kinds of grief, hunting a suitable meeting place. During the course of events, we have met many of the business men of the city. While on my way to the P.O. met Mr. Stanford a former train acquaintance, who invited us to his home to luncheon and to converse with his Josephite wife. Well we had a heated debate and Nortford came in on the rebuttal, calling Reorganites, boobs, tenderfeet, cold shouldered, etc.

OCTOBER 6, 1914
Found Sister Crosby much better this morning. Administered to her again. Found a Lundwall and fixed up the room etc. Supper at Crosbys. Elder Anderson anointed, and I blessed her. I promised her health and strength, I don't know why, and after I had said it, I wondered if I had made a mistake. Came home at 9:00 after meeting Brother Crosby and Lairs.

OCTOBER 7, 1914
Hunted for a place in which to hold Church.

OCTOBER 8, 1814
Still looking for a Church house. People are surely good and treat us fine, but they always say go to the next neighbor. They have just what you fellows are looking for. Same story every time. Some of the saints are trying to discourage the idea of a Church, but we keep hammering away. Sister Eyur and her daughter came to see us, and we surely had a fine time. Some pretty good testimonies, and they all did Sister Lowe and Dimple good.

OCTOBER 9, 1914
Studied this forenoon. Then to dinner at twelve. Letter for Elder Denham. Ordered a crate of $l.00 apples. Administered to Sister Crosby. She is slowly but surely healing. She can talk so much better and is going to be well. Visited Sister Eyer, then took supper with Brother and Sister Edgar and family--pretty nice people from Texas--knew (Thomas) Riley Greer and O. D. Flake. Nice visit with them. Home, ate apples and joshed the Lowe family for awhile. 10 to 10 now and busy as a cat on a sidewalk.

OCTOBER 10, 1914
I fixed Sister Lowe's Bible with a reference this morning and she can't leave her Bible alone now--keeps turning and finding proof all the time. I Ironed all our clothes--two suits each and some ties. Read the Conference News--surely grand. All the buildings crowded and l,000 to an overflow meeting--largest Conference yet. Saw notice of George and Dona getting license--also Ada Peterson and Sutcliff from Pinedale. We are surely amused at Sister Lowe's earnestness. Sister Crosby is improving.

OCTOBER 11, 1914
Sunday morning 7:30 and Elder Anderson still sleeping. In the morning I shall be twenty two years old. I haven't accomplished very much since that memorable day, October 12, 1892.
Held Sunday School. Dimple and Rosie, Elder, Mrs. Lowe and I studied the apostasy and showed them to their satisfaction, should come a falling away. Had dinner with them, sang a few songs of rejoicing. While going to the P.O. Mr. Hartford called us, and we had quite a talk with him. Went to luncheon, met his Josephite wife and we surely had them going south. They seemed to enjoy the visit and surely we did.
She says she is going to find out more about Joseph Smith Junior and their organization. Came home after spending a few minutes at Crosbys.

OCTOBER 12, 1914 [This Whole Day Was Written in Red]
Monday. My natal day--birthday, so we celebrated by staying in and studying. Some candy Dimple made was enjoyed. I feel confounded old and infirm. Twenty-two years since that memorable day.

OCTOBER 13, 1914
Yegens are going to let us have a little hall in which to hold our meetings two Sundays every month. The Lord is working on them in a mysterious way. Spent few hours at Sister Sorensons. She related a few tricks pulled off on Elders Denham and others--surely a hearty laughter. Evening at Proslys. Home at 9:00 and am here now.

OCTOBER 14, 1914
Spent the forenoon studying. Went out to Central Park to find Lloyds. We went too far west. Found a blacksmith and pumped him upon Mormonism. Left him feeling full as a garden toad. Found Lloyds on a crooked street. Pretty good people surely. Home and had a letter. Choir practice--Miss Hansen, Miss Muffet and her sister over at Lowes. People are quite interested in Sunday School.


Journal 1 - Journal 2 - Journal 3 - Journal 4 - Mission Photos

Top - Journals Home